Skip navigation links
Fayette County New Website
About Us
Doing Business With Us
e-Services and Forms
Skip navigation links
County GovernmentExpand County Government
Court of Common PleasExpand Court of Common Pleas
Elected OfficialsExpand Elected Officials
Frequently Asked Questions
Fayette County > Prothonotary
Q. Where is the Prothonotary Office located?
  • On the first floor of the Fayette County Courthouse located at 61 East Main St. in Uniontown PA.
Q. How do I appeal a District Justice Judgment for money?
  • Individuals and businesses have 30 days from the date the judgment is entered to appeal. Only the initial form with basic information is provided. Once the appeal is filed, seek legal counsel.
Q. How do I appeal a License Suspension or Registration Suspension?
  • Individuals have 30 days from the date of the letter from PennDot to appeal. Consult legal counsel.
Q. How do I get a satisfied lien off my credit report?
  • Obtain a certified copy of the satisfaction from our office and take it to or call the reporting agency and ask what type of identification you will need. The following numbers and websites are the three major credit reporting agencies.
  • Equifax: 1-800-685-1111
  • Experian: 1-800-397-3742
  • TransUnion: 1-800-888-4213
Q. How do I get a lien off my credit report that is not mine?
  • Obtain a copy of the lien from our office and take it to or call the previously listed credit reporting agencies.
Q. What types of liens and judgments are filed in the Prothonotary Office?
  • Type of Liens:                                  Types of Judgments:
  • Federal Tax Liens                             Confessed Judgments
  • State Tax Liens                                Default Judgments
  • Municipal Liens                                 District Justice
Q. How do I change my child's last name?
  • If the biological father's name is on the original birth certificate and the child is younger than 5 years old, you can complete the information on the back of the birth certificate and send it to the PA Vital Statistics located in New Castle, PA. For children over the age of 5, seek legal counsel.
Q. How do I apply for a passport?
  • Applications are available and can be processed at our office Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 pm. Passports will be cut off at 4:00 pm. You may also contact the Passport Information Office at 1-877-487-2778 or at  or call 724-656-3100.
     Please be advised that an appointment is highly recommended for
     a hand carry passport. The Prothonotary's Office reserves the right
     to deny the process of a hand carry passport on a basis of volume
     of civil work that the office is experiencing and the supply staff.
     All other passports do not require an appointment at the
     Prothonotary's Office; however, we suggest that if multiple
     Passports are needed for a family to please arrive at the
     Prothonotary's Office by 3:30 and please have the passport
     application completed prior.
Q. What year do the Naturalizations Records start in your office?   
  • Late 1700's
Q. Can I get a certified birth certificate in the Prothonotary's Office?